(last update: June 2012)
Information we gather
We collect information to provide better services to all of our users – from figuring out basic stuff like which language you speak, to more complex things like which ads you’ll find most useful or the people who matter most to you online.
We collect information in two ways:
- Information you give us - For example, we require you to register before making comments. When you do, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address, telephone number. If you want you may include a photo.
- Information we get from your use of our services – We may collect information about the pages you visit and the articles you prefer. This information includes:
- Device information – We may collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number).
- Log information- When you use our services or view content provided by Hemingway’s Foyer, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include:
- details of how you used our site, such as which pages or articles you visited.
- Local storage – We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
How we use the information we gather
The information is used to enhance the visitor’s experience when using the website to display personalized content and possibly advertising. Any information we collect is for that use only.
- We Never sell any information we collect. Never!
Information you share
Many of our services let you share information with others. Remember that when you share information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines, including Google. Our services provide you with different options on sharing and removing your content.
Information we share
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Hemingway unless one of the following circumstances apply:
- With your consent – We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Hemingway’s Foyer when we have your consent to do so.
- For legal reasons- We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Hemingway’s Foyer if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Hemingway, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – like publishers, advertisers or connected sites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.